Sunday, December 16, 2012

Luggage Racks...

Luggage racks! I just happened to be looking for them online and there they were, the first item on the list. They were meant to be! I had the perfect idea to dress them up for my pink bedroom. As luck would have it, the gentleman selling the racks had two and was kind enough to sell them both for the price of one. He was converting his bed and breakfast to a vacation rental and needed to move them out quickly. With a double score in hand, I was excited to get started!

First, I removed the straps and lightly sanded the wood. I only needed to knock off enough of the old finish to give the new primer and paint something to grab hold of. It was a quick and simple process.


Next, I covered the existing hardware with painter's tape to prevent over spray from the primer and paint. Eventually, I changed my mind and replaced the hardware in order to achieve a more detailed result. Neither was really a requirement, but I am a perfectionist, so...

I painted the luggage racks with Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch, Ultra Cover 2X Primer in White and Paint in Blossom White, Satin Finish. The coverage, color and finish was amazing.


While the luggage racks were drying, I started on the straps. I suppose there are a variety of techniques to cover straps, but I chose a no sew method, using a permanent fabric adhesive. I simply folded, ironed and adhered the cut edges of the fabric around newly purchased straps as shown below.


When the straps were finished, I stapled each end to the top of the wood frame, carefully wrapping under and over to the other side, connecting in the same way. For a fun and decorative touch, I added Dungaree buttons to the top of the straps for a bit of whimsy. Very me, indeed!


It was that simple! An inexpensive project that is sure to add a point of interest and color pop to my pink bedroom. I love it! And, I have a second luggage rack painted and ready for use down the road.

I am in the process of designing my pink bedroom and will post pictures soon! Stay tuned for more...

2 comments: