Sunday, December 2, 2012

Trash To Treasure...

In yesterday’s post, No Place Like Home, I mentioned that my home is a whimsical adventure. Creating on a shoestring budget, I look to the “old” for the “new”, giving repurposed life to someone else’s trash. Several months ago, my sister and I were brainstorming ideas to add a pop of color to one of my bedrooms. It was a bedroom designed with my youngest daughter in mind. Since my family is from France, I decided to go for a whimsical look, with a French twist. I fondly call it French Whimsy.  I am certain French Whimsy is not a design style, but it seemed to capture my style, so it was named as such. My sister suggested that I take a metal trash can, turn it upside down and use it as an end table. By spray painting the trash can, I would get the color pop I was looking for. Great idea! Off to the paint store I went. Since the bedroom already had a blue, cream and white color palate in place, the obvious paint choice for the trash can was yellow. I put the first coat on, cute! The second coat, looking good! The third coat, oh boy, what have I done? Did I go too bright? With each coat, the color seemed to grow away from my original vision. I thought to myself, just keep going and see where you land. Well, I landed gracefully and the outcome was amazing.


I often frequent second hand stores. I go with an open mind, with no particular idea in place. I look at items not for what they are, but for what they can be. Soon after I had painted the trash can turned end table, I found an amazing chandelier. I immediately thought, this is the perfect piece to finish off the bedroom. With a little elbow grease and a helping hand from my sister and brother-in-law, the final touch was added. Voila! I could not be happier. It reflects my taste perfectly and for a few hundred dollars from start to finish, I have a beautiful French Whimsy bedroom.

 

The video below shows my French Whimsy bedroom. It also captures some of the love that can be found in my home. I hope you enjoy it...


Thank you to my sister for making and sharing such a beautiful montage.

Love, love, love…

1 comment: