Friday, December 14, 2012

The Crossing Guard...

Each morning when I drive to work, I contemplate another day at the office and the challenges that await me. As I sip on coffee and navigate my way through familiar streets, I lose myself in anticipation of what is to come. This morning started off no different than any other. The alarm clock sounded at 6:00 a.m. and kept me on schedule as I went about my normal routine. Due to a last minute snafu, however, I left home later than usual. In order to avoid what would now be heavy commuter traffic, I decided to drive a road less traveled, albeit longer. Good plan, I thought, as I remained on task. I made my way down tree lined streets and through quiet neighborhoods, barely taking notice of the surrounding beauty. After all, I was late for work and had no time for the journey. As I stopped and passed through several intersections, causing further delays in my morning, I became aggravated by the nuisance. I thought, are all these stop signs really necessary, as if a conspiracy had been launched against me? It was then that I glanced to my right and saw her, the crossing guard. She was an older woman with a big and bright smile. She was proudly dressed in a red Christmas sweater and mittens, with a string of bells around her neck and reindeer antlers on the top of her head. Her chair was nestled under a pine tree, which was lovingly adorned with red ornaments and festive embellishments. She had arrived early to decorate her spot and was waiting enthusiastically for the children to make their way to school. As I passed through the intersection, she excitedly smiled and waved to me with both hands in the air as if we had known each other for a lifetime. Nope, we had never met. I waved back, a bit reserved, but touched nonetheless. I watched her through my rear view mirror as she greeted each passing car with the same smile and wave. My heart was suddenly filled with her spirit and in that moment, I changed my view. I was reminded of the power of human joy and kindness. The crossing guard very simply and purely made my day and although I do not know her, or even her name, she left an imprint on me that I will always remember.

Often times, we go so fast in life that we forget about each other. As we bustle about during this busy time of year, let us remember to live in the present and realize that life and love are the gifts. Love yourself, love others and celebrate the good around you. And, once in a while, give a smile and a wave to a stranger. Who knows, maybe you will bring joy to someone who needs it the most.

1 comment:

  1. Love this post. What a great reminder to stop and smell the roses, as it were. I wish I could have seen this lady - what a great spirit!

    ReplyDelete